Movema is seeking an applicant to cover maternity Leave for our CEO. This role will lead Movema in developing its pioneering role in championing the power of world dance to celebrate diversity, to heal and to unite communities.
The CEO will work with the Executive Team and Board to deliver our Vision through the Business plan achieving strategic, creative, financial, and operational ambitions, developing and implementing strategies which support Movema’s financial sustainability, its partnerships and its
relevance to artists, participants, and audiences.
The interim CEO will continue the vital role of leading the business to sustain and build on current successes, embed effective structures and systems, whilst ensuring that the organisation grows its profile, reach, income and users to secure future growth and success in achieving its mission and goals working within our values, ethos, and objectives.
The CEO and the Co-Directors make up the Executive Team who work within an ethos of collaboration, with a strongly democratic approach to key strategic and operational decision-making. The CEO will lead the Executive team and support Directors in the delivery of their specialist areas.
Terms and Conditions
|Hours of working:
|21 – 28 hours per week (0.6 FTE – 0.8 FTE). Our preference is for 0.8FTE but we would consider other hours for the right candidate
|Fixed term (maternity cover), May 19th, 2023 – May 31st 2024
|£36,345 pro rata. (under review, TBC late March)
|30 days annually pro rata, including Bank Holidays.
|Line Managed by:
|Line Management Responsibility for:
|Director of Finance and Operations, Director of HR and EDI, Director for Bristol and SW
|We have a comprehensive flexible working framework as well as flexitime and a time off In lieu (TOIL) system.
|During probationary period, 1 month by employee, 2 weeks by employer. Then 3 months both ways
|Place of Work:
|This role is normally based in our Liverpool office (L1 3BX) and this is our preference, however for the right candidate, we will consider a hybrid or remote model. Hybrid or remote working would require regular travel to Liverpool (frequency TBC) and travel to Bristol at least once per quarter
|Please complete the application form and return by midnight, 2 April 2023
To apply for this role please complete the application form (docx)
Application form (plain text)
Please email your application to: email@example.com
Or post to: Movema, The Bluecoat, 8 School Lane Liverpool L1 3BX, marked ‘Private & Confidential’
Please also complete Movema’s Equality & Diversity form (online)
|Closing date for receipt of applications
|Midnight 2nd April 2023
|Interviews will be held in Liverpool in a wheelchair accessible venue
|Wednesday 12th April 2023
|19 May 2023
All candidates selected for interview will be asked if they require any reasonable adjustments for their interview.
To lead Movema in developing its pioneering role in championing the power of world dance to celebrate diversity, to improve individual wellbeing and heal, unite and celebrate excluded communities.
In partnership With the Executive Team and Board, the CEO will deliver the Business plan achieving strategic, creative, financial, and operational ambitions, ensure the Artistic Vision is implemented strategically and operationally and develop and implement strategies which support Movema’s financial sustainability, its partnerships and its relevance to artists, participants, and audiences.
- Lead on the business planning of the organisation, developing and implementing an inspiring Strategic Business Plan including budget and risk register.
- Work alongside the Exec Team, facilitating and enabling the delivery of the Artistic Vision for the charity.
- Oversee all operational and business activities to ensure they produce the desired results and are consistent with the overall strategy and mission.
- Develop and implement Movema’s Income Generation strategy ensuring adequate income to sustain the charity, leading on the development of long-term relationships with funders, trusts and foundations and other key partners in the region and nationally.
- Support the Board to deliver effective governance.
- Oversee the HR Culture of the organisation including line managing the Exec team, undertaking HR duties as required.
- Oversee Marketing in the areas of company profile and awareness, core PR messages and ensuring all marketing activity reflects the ethos of the company and aligns with the vision, mission, and values.
- Stay abreast of world dance and arts practice in the UK.
- Develop and apply an in-depth understanding of the artistic, programming, participatory and audiences approach.
- Set the standard for behaviour which is open, transparent, professional, supportive, positive and focused on excellence.
Knowledge, skills, and experience
- Demonstrable relevant experience in a senior role within an arts organisation.
- Good knowledge and experience of income generation within an arts charity and a strong track record of securing funding with a specialism in at least one of the following; trusts and foundations; earned income, corporate support, events.
- Up to date knowledge of the arts nationally and internationally, specifically in North West and South West.
- Experienced in and demonstrable ability to lead the implementation the Artistic Vision of an organisation.
- An in-depth understanding of equality, diversity, and inclusion and how this is relevant in an arts charity.
- Experienced in leading and managing staff and personnel processes.
- Experience of marketing and audience development.
- Excellent project management & IT skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- A willingness and ability to travel.
- An ability to act as an advocate for and represent the organisation and its values.
- Ability to learn quickly, adapt and work under pressure.
- High motivation, a good team player with a flexible approach to work
- Good organisational and time management skills and the ability to work to deadlines.
- An understanding of ethical charity/ business practices which is reflected in your behaviour.
- A strong alignment with Movema’s vision, mission, values and ethos.
- Experience of engaging vulnerable people from excluded communities in arts activities and of working with people with complex social problems.
- Experience of working with and supporting charity Boards of Trustees.
Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion
Movema celebrates diversity and we welcome applications from all backgrounds to develop a diverse team to serve and reflects the communities we engage. We particularly encourage applications from;
- Individuals who identify as being/from the: African, South Asian, East Asian and/or Southeast Asian diaspora; Global majority – this includes but is not exclusive to people of Middle Eastern, Arab, Latinx, Jewish, Romany and Irish Traveller heritage; LGBTQIA+ community.
- And people who; are D/deaf and or disabled ; are neuro-divergent; are from working-class backgrounds and/or have Lived Experience of racism and/or other barriers that have impacted their ability to achieve their career potential.