Africa Oyé – Oyé Active Zone
22 & 23rd June 2013. 12.30 – 7pm each day.
Sefton Park, Liverpool
This year Movema will host the biggest Oye Active Zone (OAZ) to date and it is all FREE!
Are you ready to be part of the biggest dancing and drumming OAZ? People of all ages and backgrounds will have the chance to try African and world inspired dance, music, and arts activities throughout the weekend led by top local and international companies.
So, what’s new?
• This year OAZ will have 2 tents a dedicated ‘Chill Zone’ where you can enjoy holistic therapies and also try out some yoga to prepare you for a truly relaxed weekend.
• Don’t miss your chance to be part of Liverpool’s record breaking challenge to get the whole park dancing as one, led by Movema from the main stage on Saturday!
•Learn how to play the West African Harp with the Kora Workshop before they go to WOMAD, an experience not to be missed.
•Youth Dance Battle – an open platform for young people of Liverpool to come and share their skills – all you need is yourself, your dance crew and your iPod. You could be crowned the Oye dancer 2013!
• Become Liverpool next best DJ learn how to spin and mix your favourite tracks with an Afro flavour, along with live drumming sessions brought to you by LIVE Brazil, a project run by a collaboration of local arts organisations: BrazUKa, Movema and Batala.
• Direct from the main stage to the Oyé community, special international guest artists will be sharing their knowledge and experience.
There’s more…! The return of the annual favourites;
• Movema will get the crowd dancing around the world, with high energy dance workshops and performances including; African, Caribbean, Afro-Brazilian and Zumba.
• MDI – African dance workshop with Lamin Dumbuya from Sierra Leone.
• Action meets relaxation at ‘The Chill Zone’ with Mindfully Balanced and MDI, who will be providing holistic therapies, one-to-one treatments and group relaxation sessions.
• To complement the fantastic musicians on the main stage, River Niger Arts and LIVEBrazil drummers will be leading a series of invigorating drum demonstrations and workshops. They’ll wow the crowds with their acrobatic skill and playful capoeira from Brazil will be Cordao De Ouro, North West.
• The Oye Active Zone is FREE and open to everyone! The whole cultural programme is focused on promoting health & wellbeing, learning and participation.
So shake it up and get on down!