Movema is seeking an exceptional candidate to join the board as Chair, to lead our Board of Trustees and guide the organisation through its next exciting stage of development.
Chair Recruitment Pack: Chair Recruitment Pack (pdf)
Equal Opportunities Form: Complete (Online)
Chair Role Description: Chair Role Description (pdf)
Following Ngozi Ikoku stepping down after 10 years of supporting Movema, we are seeking an exceptional person to join the board as Chair to guide Movema through its next exciting stage of development. The Chair will work in collaboration with our highly skilled and committed Board to provide effective governance that supports and challenges our executive team and wider colleagues to continue to realise Movema’s potential.
We are seeking interest from candidates with a commitment to and interest in our core purpose and we welcome approaches from those considering their first Chair role as well as experienced non-executives.
The Chair oversees the strategic direction of the charity, convening and chairing quarterly Board meetings, enabling contributions from all Trustees, and ensuring that sound decisions are made, supporting the work of the five Board subgroups (although not required to be a member of them all!);
• Finance and HR
• Ambition and Quality
• Inclusivity and Relevance
A key element of the role involves driving forwards the strategic business plan, in partnership with the Board and the Executive Team.
The Chair will ideally line manage our CEO, (this is negotiable) and be available to support key events.
Movema has a skilled and experienced team of trustees in place to govern and help take the organisation forward with The Movema Team and the inspiring work that they deliver.Ngozi Ikoku, Chair, 2012-2022
Movema has thrived this year as indicated in our many Achievements listed in our Annual Report. 2021-2022 saw the progress of critical organisational development work and on 6 December 2021 the organisation became a registered charity with a plan for a secure and sustainable future.
I wish Movema a bright and successful future
Diversity is in-built at the core of our business and everything we do and we consider ‘Diversity’ in its widest sense.
Movema is committed to ensuring our governing body reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We actively seek Trustees to reflect a multitude of experiences and backgrounds and encourage applications from ethnically diverse backgrounds, LGBTQIA+ people, people with disabilities, other protected characteristics and those from working class backgrounds, currently underrepresented in high level arts roles.
We particularly encourage applications from individuals who identify as;
- Being from the: African, South Asian, East Asian and/or Southeast Asian diaspora; Global majority – this includes but is not exclusive to people of Middle Eastern, Arab, Latinx, Jewish, Romany and Irish Traveller heritage;
- LGBTQIA+ community;
- D/deaf and or disabled;
- Being from working-class backgrounds;
- Having Lived Experience of racism and/or other barriers that have impacted their ability to achieve their career potential.
Terms of Appointment
This is a four-year appointment with board members eligible for two consecutive terms of four years before retirement.
In order to support inclusivity an honorarium will be offered with this post plus any additional appropriate access costs and expenses.
The Chair is responsible for leading the Board of Trustees, ensuring that it fulfils its responsibilities for the governance of the organisation. The Chair’s role is also to work in partnership with the Executive Team, helping them to achieve the aims of the organisation and to optimise the relationship between the Board and staff.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Solid leadership experience, with an ability to motivate and inspire;
- An appreciation and passion for arts and culture;
- A deep understanding of and demonstrable commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
- Strong understanding of the role of Chair, with a focus on leading and
developing colleagues within the Board and the Executive Team to enable effective leadership of the wider organisation;
- Commitment to the highest standards of governance;
- A commitment to environmental sustainability;
- An ability to think and act strategically;
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills, used to working with a wide range of senior stakeholders from diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent communication and presentational skills, comfortable in an
ambassadorial role and appearing as a media spokesperson;
- A willingness and ability to play a personal role in fundraising (this can be virtually);
- Commitment to the ethos of using arts as a transformational tool for improving health and wellbeing;
- An excellent network of regional and national senior-level influencers;
To find out more
To discuss the role informally please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0754365869.
Main office: Studio 19, The Bluecoat, 8 School Lane, Liverpool, L1 3BX.
(Programmes run in Liverpool and Bristol)
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com;
- Covering letter (maximum 2 pages) saying why you’re interested in the position
- Completed the Equal Opportunities Form: Equal Opportunities Form (Online)
|Closing date for applications:||Midnight, Wed 31st May 2023|
|Applicants Notified:||Wednesday 7th June 2023|
|Interview date:||WC 12th June 2023 (options for in-person/ Zoom)|
All candidates selected for interview will be asked if they require any reasonable adjustments for their interview.